Cost of Service/Rate Design Consultant or Senior Consultant
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
A qualified candidate for this position will have a strong understanding of the utility rate setting process from cost of service studies and cost allocation to rate design. This position requires the ability to analyze existing and emerging regulations and policies, regulatory precedent, tariffs and rate filings, capital expansion plans, and assess compliance strategies. The position will contribute to the ongoing development of the firm’s cost of service and rate design models. The position will develop analyses, written reports, and presentation materials and may provide expert witness testimony in proceedings before state public utility commissions. The position will perform related consulting work including project management, proposal writing, and other analytic tasks as required.
A qualified candidate will have a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in accounting, economics, engineering, finance or law.
A qualified Consultant candidate will have a minimum of five (5) years of progressively increasing experience performing cost of service studies and rate analysis at a gas or electric utility or utility commission, up to and including principal responsibility for the preparation of such studies and analysis.
A qualified Senior Consultant candidate will have a minimum of eight (8) years increasing experience performing cost of service studies and rate analysis at a gas or electric utility or utility commission, up to and including the supervision of the preparation of such studies and analysis. The Sr. Consultant will also have experience preparing and defending work product such as technical reports or expert testimony. Finally, the Sr. Consultant will have the demonstrated ability to manage staff.
- Knowledge of State utility regulatory issues, regulatory practices, and procedures.
- Demonstrated experience conducting utility cost of service studies, cost allocation analysis, and rate design.
- Experience with cost of capital, revenue requirements, and regulatory analysis.
- Experience preparing and/or presenting testimony in regulatory proceedings.
- Knowledge of Excel, Word, and PowerPoint.
Language and Reasoning Skills
- Exercise exceptional analytical skills, sound judgment, creative problem solving, and commercial awareness.
- Analyze and interpret large amounts of data and information quickly and accurately, and make sound policy recommendations.
- Develop high-quality writing, research and communication work products.
- Deliver clear and persuasive oral communication.
- Manage projects and time efficiently.
- Manage multiple priorities and quickly adapt to changing priorities in a fast paced dynamic environment.
- Ability to oversee analysts in their analyses in the Cost of Service / Rate Design areas.
- Take responsibility and work independently, as well as coordinate team efforts.
- Be thorough and detail-oriented.
- Work accurately and swiftly under pressure.
- Demonstrate patience, tact, and courtesy.
Qualified candidate please send your resume and cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org.