Power Systems Planning (EMTP/PSCAD Expert Consultant)
Daymark Energy Advisors is a successful, growing consultancy. We bring deep knowledge and an integrated view of energy infrastructure, regulation, and markets to help our clients make well-informed business, capital investment, and policy decisions in the face of transformative change. Daymark Energy Advisors is seeking a Power Systems Planning Consultant to join the firm’s market Power System Planning’s analytics team.
If you have a passion for the energy industry, want to help clients make decisions on the path toward decarbonization, and are a high performer with a history of academic and professional excellence and achievement, you’ll find Daymark Energy Advisors offers a challenging and rewarding environment in which to further your career. We cultivate an inclusive and affirming environment that supports professional growth and rewards entrepreneurial risk taking.
Daymark Energy Advisors is headquartered in Worcester, Massachusetts. We offer flexible work arrangements, and our team is located throughout the United States.
- Development of assumptions, specific modeling, simulation and post-processing of computational results related to power system studies using EMTP-type software (i.e. PSCAD) for benchmarking of PSSE dynamic models for inverter-based resources, and study of electromagnetic transients for special studies as required. Prior experience must include dynamic simulation (PSSE) and transient simulation (EMTP, PSCAD) involving complex control systems modeling, discrete model representation of electric power system network, evaluation of transient response, addressing oscillatory issues, examination of transient phenomena (faultrecovery, and transient recovery voltage estimation) affecting insulation coordination levels, equipment specification, and tuning of control systems. Experience with model validation of PSSE dynamic models against vendor-specific PSCAD models, required tuning, and understanding of limitations of each is required.
- Supporting the integration of power electronic devices, renewable generation, storage devices, HVDC facilities into AC grids from conceptual planning through project execution including interconnection advisory support beginning with commercial and technical viability, continuing with application and regulatory approval processes to interconnection agreement processes.
- Completion of highly technical and complex analyses of power systems – transmission planning and grid interconnection – generation (conventional and inverter-based), storage, and load resources – based on steady-state and dynamic analysis methods.
- Supports client relationship management to identify new leads and business opportunities. Develops technical proposals - scope, schedule, and budget - to address our client's requests. Prepares marketing materials to support brand awareness and domain expertise for power systems planning.
- Coaching team members in elevating their domain expertise and consulting mindset for EMTP special studies that support interconnection planning of renewable resources..
- Experience in power system simulation programs mandatory from industry leading steady-state to complex, rigorous dynamic and progressively more complicated transient modeling and simulation. Demonstrated proficiency with leading industry modeling and simulation tools for Electromagnetics Transients (AC & DC) is mandatory. Demonstrated proficiency with leading network reduction and equivalencing software is mandatory. Experience with signals processing of transient analysis results is a plus.
- Strong knowledge and experience in transmission planning and operating studies (100 kV ~ 765 kV), power system performance analyses including load flow, dynamic stability, voltage stability, protection coordination, short-circuit and transfer limits).
- Deep understanding of ISO new resource application approval processes and grid planning considerations. Relevant experience working and communicating with ISO, RTOs, utilities, and developers.
- Advanced skills in HVDC applications, power transmission systems, NERC compliance, power electronics and new resource commercial development.
- Hands-on expertise in programming tools and related compilers to support model compilation, simulation and post-processing via advanced programming interfaces.
- Superior ability to communicate technical and business strategies orally and in writing, think creatively and analytically, apply problem-solving skills within a consulting environment.
- Team oriented problem solver with a ‘can do’ attitude.
- Strong English and communication skills, both orally and in writing, to engage with clients.
- The ability to manage multiple tasks in a time-sensitive environment.
- Open to putting in the work needed to ensure successful completion of client engagements.
- Bachelor’s degree in electrical power engineering (Master’s or Ph.D. degree preferred) with relevant professional experience conducting power system analysis both in steady and transient states (minimum 5 years' experience and specific-level within Daymark to be determined based on specific skill level and experience.
Qualified candidates, please email your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.